The old adage "you are what you eat" has never been truer than in the sense of your hair. The following vitamin-rich, nutrient-dense foods are worth adding into your dietary rotation if you aren't already enjoying them. Allow us to break down which foods to incorporate into your diet to ensure your locks become their most luminous, stat!
- Oatmeal: oats are rich in iron, fiber, zinc, iron and omega-3 and polyunsaturated fatty acids, all of which stimulate hair growth, leading to thicker strands.
- Sprinkle cinnamon onto your morning oatmeal - it improves circulation and blood flow, allowing oxygen and nutrients to be delivered quickly to hair follicles.
- Eggs are an excellent source of both iron and protein, which rebuild damaged and broken hair while also promoting a healthy scalp.
Lunch and dinner...
- Whole foods like avocados that have high-fat content plump hair up from the inside out, making locks less prone to breakage and much less dry. Vitamins E and B also work in tandem to promote healthy hair growth.
- Beta-carotene, found in sweet potatoes, protects against dry, dull hair and stimulates glands to make their natural oils, which moisturize and give hair a silky -- not greasy! -- look. Start incorporating orange-colored fruits and vegetables like carrots, pumpkin, cantaloupe, mangoes, and, of course, sweet potatoes into your meals.
- Oysters are a fantastic great source of zinc, which is key to healthy hair as it works at the cellular level to keep cells replicating, i.e. growing new hair! Without enough zinc, hair loss can come into play.
- Tuna and salmon are exceptionally rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, which keep hair full and long.
- In addition to healthy fats, Biotin is another superstar substance that speeds along hair growth and creates a thicker mane in the process. Snack on almonds, walnuts, and pecans, or add them to your daily salad to reap the full benefits of the powerful coenzyme.
When you take a holistic approach to your hair's health by filling your diet with an abundance of proven nutrients that truly act as 'hair heroes', you will be amazed at the new life your hair takes on.